Uh Oh! One quick glance at my calendar and I can see that I have a truly busy week ahead. In this type of week, I turn to a “tried and true” recipe that I like to fix because it is simple to prepare, can easily pair with a salad or fruit and in our family, everyone can serve themselves!
Disclaimer: I cut this recipe out of a magazine a zillion years ago and I have no idea where it came from! If this is your creation, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due! I have made a few shortcuts so I will let you know the changes I made.
Rice and Black-Bean Burritos
Makes 8 burritos
- Eight 6-inch flour tortillas (I use whole wheat too!)
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice (I use white or brown)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup salsa, mild, medium or spicy hot (I use more salsa so it will stay moist for leftovers)
- ½ cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat tortillas as directed on package.
- Meanwhile mix rice, beans and salsa in a large non-stick skillet. Cover and heat over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often until mixture is hot. Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes. (Here comes Paula’s shortcut: I prepare this mixture in the microwave!)
- Fill each tortilla with 1/3 cup rice mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Serve with a green salad or fruit.
Hope you enjoy this quick meal! It can convert to an easy brown bag lunch as well. Enjoy!